Wednesday 9 December 2009

Driving Me (Nat Geo) Wild

I think I've become intolerant and grumpy, but the name of this new satellite channel really did literally drive me mad. For at least a whole minute.


National Geographic is a legend, a cornerstone of wildlife photography, a treasure trove of geographical information, and something we probably all remember seeing about the house in our youth (when people still bothered with actual magazines in print). My grandfather had a massive collection, years and years worth, neatly shelved and sacred.

So it really annoyed me that they've reduced it to fawn to the idiots who can't seem to cope with full words. Everything has to be reduced, dumbed down. People can't cope with thinking for the span of whole words any more, no, they need things shorter and shorter. And it makes it seem fun and wacky, missing the end off words, doesn't it?

Here's a picture of a pissed off penguin in socks, just to get in on the act of dumbing down the natural world:



... and another thing (she says ramming her finger into the desk in anger)... I've remembered now what it was that set me off in the first place.

The Dog Whisperer.

Cesar somebody-or-other. He's even named after a dog food. If you've seen it you don't need me to go on to explain it. If you haven't then it's probably important viewing for people who have unruly pets, who don't deserve to have pets because they think they are ornaments and not living things which need care and attention and discipline to function. Like the woman called Kitten who dyed her dog pink to match her decor and then wondered why the thing was pissed off:



Do I need to go on?... grr... grumble...

.

No comments:

Post a Comment